Friday, December 26, 2014

New Beginnings

It's been much too long. Starting afresh with a new blog, I'm entering the world of Cardinals blogging once again. I'd like to extend an unconscionable apology for allowing this project to fall into intense disrepair, and I hope that you will enjoy reading my takes on Cardinal baseball.

Yesterday, I watched a bevy of games from last season -- part of Fox Sports Midwest's annual Christmas Day marathon, which is an excellent thing -- and, in reality, that was the first time I could verily get into baseball since a bruising October took me out of it.

First, the Cards' season was ended, the hopes of a pennant charge dashed -- which is bad enough in itself. However, something happened later that month that put things into perspective and showed that sometimes, baseball needs to take the back seat. That would be the tragic passing of Oscar Taveras, a young outfield prospect that had much to live for, in an automotive accident.

That was just too much to bear. Yesterday, then, was the first time I could watch baseball or hardly anything pertaining to it in several months. The selection of games, which ranged from extra-inning comebacks that followed a late-game un-gluing, to Taveras' first hit, an exhilarating homerun that seemed to "open the sky," as his teammates put it, brought back some of the excitement, the rush that I had missing.

And I'm glad it did.

You may not know me, but I'm really not the type that constantly scours websites for trade rumors, either genuine or baseless, or keep a fiercely watchful eye on every minor-league prospect. I just love and appreciate the game of baseball. I play it, I watch it, I love it. It's just baseball.

With all that being said, I pick up on news as I go. This is an offseason in which I have devoted a little less time than usual in dissecting and discussing the moves emanating from the parent organization. Something I'm anxious to see is how the club actually approaches the outfield situation, which saw the addition of a big name, Jason Heyward, in a trade which also saw the departure of Shelby Miller to the Braves, and relief pitcher
Jordan Walden.

However, there's still time -- and sure changes, minor or not -- and as a wise person once said, there's a lot of baseball to play. It's just taking its time to get here.

No comments:

Post a Comment